Huddersfield-lads

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Huddersfield-lads

Football and banter

2 posters

just wondering

olderfyc
    olderfyc

just wondering Empty just wondering

Post  olderfyc Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:24 pm

what is the name you lot use for your new ground? will it remain the mcalpine or do you lot change it when the sponsers change?

if it was the old ground, it would be lee-ds rd no matter if different people sponsered it, so does the same apply to the new ground.?

just wondering like
    Out of Town

just wondering Empty Town ground

Post  Out of Town Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:04 pm

McAlpine was the builder and had a 10 year agreement to name the stadium.

On its expiry Galpharm a local Pharmaceutical Co bought /won / bid for the rights for whatever length of time, not being club historian material I don't have the exact detail to hand.

Suspect if i had a spare shilling I could make a bid next time or indeed if all the lads clubbed together we could you could call it whatever we wanted or at yours, the FYC stadium.

Each side of the ground is named after a sponsor but thankfully not plastered the name over the roof like at your gaff/brentford/Cardiff etc which then has to painted over badly each subsequent change

The old L33ds road ground was often referred to as the Town ground to avoid having to say those few horrible words.
    olderfyc
    olderfyc

just wondering Empty Re: just wondering

Post  olderfyc Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:07 am

point i was getting at was do you fans have a name you will always call it, instead of changing it every few years, just because the sponsers change.
    Out of Town

just wondering Empty ground

Post  Out of Town Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Well basically with new stadium and plastic all seater comes plastic johnny-come-lately fans (soccer am types, families) and moving with the times, as you must do, I couldn't give a sh1t what the ground is called if it brings vital income for the club to progress and keeps the cost of going down to a decent level.

The old L33ds Rd ground was a hostile place and the long walk down from town on the poorly policed non cctv dual carriage way then made the big home fixtures a cert for a good old ding dong. You could at one time swap ends before the separation and fences came up early 80's but also was a right shit hole, despite the terrace holding 24,000 at its peak and bouncing around the cowshed as a kid thinking you were billy bigballs in your docs. You could even brick the away fans from the back of the terrace (Burnley early 80s when they brought 50 coaches, frequently get a infiltration at ko, walk round the back of the away end and time it right to meet the exiting away fans, lob more bricks over the fence as you went then as we got casual & dressed up 82/83ish, went upmarket to sit right next to the away fans in the corner main stand - total chaos compared to now.

Things were always better in times gone by weren't they?? but after visiting Chesterfield, Accrington of late and Hereford this season it reminds you how much things have moved on for what is generally for the better, last week it mentioned we had 4200 U18 season ticket holders, we didn't get that many when i started going some weeks.

But i suspect to some it will be the Macalpine forever, though prior to that sponsorship, it was the Kirklees stadium to soften the public of w yorks for the £5m council cash they stumped up, sold as venue for all purposes.

fuck me don't I go on.......
    olderfyc
    olderfyc

Post  olderfyc Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:30 pm

fucking loved your old ground. many happy"scuffles" just outside the main stand on the corner Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm