Football and banter

    thought it was a welsh thing

    Out of Town

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2009-02-22

    thought it was a welsh thing Empty thought it was a welsh thing

    Post  Out of Town on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:39 am

    An England football supporter who killed an innocent Wales fan outside Wembley Stadium was jailed for three years at the Old Bailey yesterday.
    Michael Dye, 44, died from head injuries inflicted by a single punch before a Euro 2012 qualifier between England and Wales on September 6.
    Ian Mytton, 41, who pleaded guilty last month to the manslaughter of the father of three, wept as he was sentenced.
    In a statement read out in court, the victims wife Nathalie, who wiped away tears throughout the sentencing, said: The man who caused Mikes death might as well have killed me that night. Part of me died alongside Mike.
    CCTV footage showed Mytton, of Redditch, Worcestershire, approaching Mr Dye on a concourse outside the stadium in North-West London before punching him once 25 minutes before the match kicked off and then walking away.
    Mr Dye, from Ely in Cardiff, was taken to Northwick Park Hospital after suffering a fractured skull but died soon after his arrival.
    At the time of his death, initial police reports wrongly suggested that the punch had been thrown as a result of a fight between Swansea City and Cardiff City fans.
    Philip Bennetts QC, prosecuting, said one eyewitness described the punch as sickening.
    Judge Anthony Morris said the attack was unprovoked and the force of the blow was considerable.
    He said Mr Dye was poleaxed from the force of the punch and fell backwards without trying to stop himself, hitting his head on the ground and suffering massive brain damage.
    Mytton, an Aston Villa fan, had drunk five pints of lager and was holding a can of Strongbow as he and five friends approached Mr Dye and his friend Anthony Riella, who had also been drinking.
    Earlier, Mr Bennetts described Mytton and his friends shouting abuse at Mr Riella and Mr Dye, a prominent Cardiff City supporter who used to help arrange transport for away games.
    Mr Riella said in a witness statement that he and Mr Dye looked at the shouting group and laughed. Soon after, Mytton and a group of five others approached the pair. Mr Riella said Mr Dye told the group to leave it out, but Mytton then punched him, knocking him to the ground.
    Mytton handed himself in to police. Simon Stirling, defending, said: His remorse for what he did and the suffering he caused them (the Dye family) is real, genuine and heartfelt.
    He said Mytton had no previous convictions, was never involved in football violence before and had originally planned to take his daughter to the match, before realising it was a school night.

      Current date/time is Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:51 pm